The Burgundy Bed and Breakfast is located in the historic Faubourg Marigny neighborhood of New Orleans. Our neighborhood has much to boast about. There are many restaurants and bars nearby, it is suitable for jogging and biking and the ”Country Club” is nearby for swimming. The Marigny – Bywater bus stop is 2 blocks away, Frenchman Street restaurants and bars are a 10 minute walk away, and the French Quarter and the Riverfront streetcar stop are a 15 minute walk. To Jackson Square, the heart of the French Quarter, it’s a 20 – 25 minute walk.
New Orleans in the News
New Orleans is one of America’s Favorite Cities! Travel + Leisure Magazine announced that New Orleans placed number one in the overall categories of Nightlife as well as Food and Dining for their 2009 “America’s Favorite Cities Survey.” New Orleans also topped the charts in sub-categories as a favorite for Wild Weekends, Best Stylish Boutique Hotels, Cocktail Hour, Singles Bar Scene, Live Music Concerts and Bands, Antique and Vintage Shopping, Cafes/Coffee Bars, Neighborhood Joints and Best Spring Break Destination. Click here to view full survey results. Zagat recently named New Orleans the most affordable dining destination in the country, based on a survey of 375,000 diners from around the world.
Faubourg Marigny in the News
The American Planning Association designated the Faubourg Marigny one of 10 Great Neighborhoods for 2009 by APA’s Great Places in America program.
“We are truly honored to have been chosen as a Great Neighborhood,” President of FMIA Chris Costello noted. “Our residents work hard to keep our neighborhood friendly and open to visitors while sharing everything there is to offer in its unique sense of place, local citizen activism, historic architecture with social and cultural diversity.”
Through Great Places in America, APA recognizes unique and authentic characteristics found in three essential components of all communities: streets, neighborhoods and public spaces. APA Great Places offer better choices for where and how people work and live every day, places that are enjoyable, safe and desirable. Such places are defined by many characteristics, including architectural features, accessibility, functionality and community involvement. Read more
Driving Directions / Parking
From the east: Stay on I-10 until the Elysian Fields Av. Exit 237. Take Elysian Fields to the left (South) for approx. 1.1 miles. After crossing St. Claude Av. (traffic light), N. Rampart and Burgundy, take a left on Dauphine (traffic light) and continue for 5 blocks to Franklin Av. (traffic light). Take a left on Franklin (for one block), then left on Burgundy, and park in front of the house (on-street parking is free and reasonably easy and safe; there is no off-street parking).
From the west (airport): From I-10 take I-610 East at Exit 230. Continue for 3 miles to Exit 3 (Elysian Fields Av.) Take Elysian Fields to the right (South) for approx. 1.8 miles. After crossing St. Claude Av. (traffic light), N. Rampart and Burgundy, take a left on Dauphine (traffic light) and continue for 5 blocks to Franklin Av. (traffic light). Take a left on Franklin (for one block), then left on Burgundy, and park in front of the house (on-street parking is reasonably easy and safe; there is no off-street parking).
Alternative route from the west (airport): Stay on I-10 (this requires concentration!) until the N. Claiborne Exit 236B. Follow N. Claiborne for approx. 3 blocks to Elysian Fields (traffic light). Take Elysian Fields to the right (South) for approx. 0.6 mile. After crossing St. Claude Av. (traffic light), N. Rampart and Burgundy, take a left on Dauphine (traffic light) and continue for 5 blocks to Franklin Av. (traffic light). Take a left on Franklin (for one block), then left on Burgundy, and park in front of the house (on-street parking is reasonably easy and safe; there is no off-street parking).
Getting to The Burgundy from the Airport
1. Airport Pickup Service: Stanley Lane is a cab driver with the White Fleet and works with a few B&B’s as personal airport pickup service. He charges the standard taxi flat rate ($33 for 1 or 2, $14 per person for 3 or more). Contact him several days before your arrival by phone (504-563-3930) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your detailed information and he will make the arrangements for meeting you.
2. Taxi: Charge is $33 for one or two persons, $42 for 3, $56 for 4. However, the driver is allowed to turn on his meter when he crosses Elysian Fields (only 4 blocks from the B&B, but there is also no rule that says he has to take that route!). As a courtesy to the many B&B’s in the Marigny rectangle (so across Elysian Fields), United Cab does not charge B&B guests extra for crossing Elysian Fields. (If the driver doesn’t know about it and charges more, get his cab number and we’ll get a refund.) Here’s how this works: As soon as you have your bags, call United Cab, 504-522-9771. They get your name and location (in front of baggage claim of your airline) and give you the number of the cab which has been ordered. Walk out the nearest door, cross the first lanes of traffic to the neutral ground (median). The cab is there very fast; check that your name and his cab number match.
3. Rental Car: Follow the signs to I-10 East New Orleans, then follow the driving directions above “From the west”.
4. The Airport Shuttle costs $20 per person one way. They most probably will not cross Elysian Fields Ave., so you will have to ask them to drop you off at the Elysian Fields Inn and then walk the last 4 blocks. In my opinion this is not the best option!
5. Public Transportation: During the day weekdays the Airport Express Bus E2 leaves the airport about every 30 minutes and costs $2 exact fare. It takes about 45 minutes to the Central Business District, Loyola and Tulane Ave (http://jeffersontransit.org/schedules/PDF_Schedules/2010/Airport%20E2%202010%204.pdf). From there you walk 2 blocks to Canal and N. Rampart and take the St. Claude bus (number 88, $1.25) to St. Roch Ave. (about 5 minutes), only 2 blocks from the B&B. At night and on weekends I would not recommend this option.
If You Arrive by Train
Taxicab from the Train/Bus Station costs approx. $10 -$15 (metered fare).
The Burgundy Bed and Breakfast
a cozy b&b in the Big Easy
2513 Burgundy St., New Orleans, LA 70117
Carl Smith, Innkeeper
Tel: 1-504-261-9477 / Guest Rooms: 1-504-300-9463
e-mail: email@example.com / web: www.theburgundy.com